Network Manager or equivalent - where should I be able to find it?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Mar 21 16:26:30 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 12:58:40PM +0100, Al Bogner wrote:
> > What's a UMTS connection?  :-)
> >
> > .... quick Google, ah, Universal Mobile Telecommunications Service.
> > Presumably that means 3G type connections or similar, I don't think I
> > care about this for this particular case.
>
> Yes, but AFAIK not exactly. In other words, I need it for a mobile
> internet connection.

It's when you use your mobile phone to make the connection isn't it? I
use a 3G connection out in Belgium but that's with a router and thus the
computer doesn't know anything about the connection at all, it just sees
the router on the LAN.

> > > With my Xubuntu 10.10 network-manager-gnome
> > > 0.8.1+git.20100809t190028.290dc70-0ubuntu3 works fine. Maybe you
> > > try to _purge_  your version and try again.
> > >
> > > I noticed with the Opensuse 11.3-version, that the applet wasn't
> > > visible in the panel, but it became visible, when clementine was
> > > opened, which adds an icon to the panel. Maybe this is your problem.
> > >
> > I think the non-appearance of NM is something to do with what I have
> > in /etc/network/interfaces:-
> >
> >     # This file describes the network interfaces available on your
> > system # and how to activate them. For more information, see
> > interfaces(5).
> >
> >     # The loopback network interface
> >     auto lo
> >     iface lo inet loopback
> >
> >     # The primary network interface
> >     iface eth0 inet static
> >     address 192.168.1.4
> >     netmask 255.255.255.0
> >     gateway 192.168.1.1
> >
> > (This machine is 192.168.1.4 and its IP is fixed rather than being
> > obtained by DHCP, hence the above)
>
> I have a similar problem and things work somehow, but are not
> understandable.
>
> Did you install resolvconf? I think you should _not_

No, I don't have resolvconf installed.

I have another machine on the LAN which provides local DNS and DHCP
services using dnsmasq, thus /etc/resolv.conf contains:-

    nameserver 192.168.1.2
    domain zbmc.eu
    search zbmc.eu

Fortunately nothing seems to have tried to change this (so far!).

--
Chris Green