Thunar operations slow after 4.8 upgrade

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Mon Feb 21 09:35:59 CET 2011

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 19:09:56 -0500
Michael Orlitzky <michael at orlitzky.com> wrote:

> On 02/20/2011 12:15 PM, Nick Schermer wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Michael Orlitzky
> > <michael at orlitzky.com> wrote:
> >> I recently updated all three of my desktop machines to XFCE 4.8
> >> from 4.6 (Gentoo stable, so Thunar is at 1.2.0).
> >>
> >> Everything went pretty much according to plan except that now all
> >> file operations in Thunar take about a second to complete. For
> >> example, if I hit the delete key with a file selected, I can
> >> expect to wait a second before it gets deleted. In
> >> whatever-Thunar-I-had-with-4.6 these operations were instantaneous.
> >>
> >> Did I screw something up during the upgrade, or is this
> >> expected/known?
> >
> > Known:
> > http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.10/roadmap/thunar#improve_responsiveness_of_file_operations
> >

> I was able to fix this for some common operations (albeit
> ungracefully) by disabling DBUS and adding the following line in a
> few places:
>
>   thunar_standard_view_reload ( THUNAR_VIEW (standard_view));

This won't work reliably. All file operations run in threads, so calls
to e.g. thuner_application_unlink_files() will return immediately and
if you reload the standard view directly after that, not all files may
be gone yet.

I tried a few similar things but reloading the current folder all the
time will make Thunar very busy and will slow down your machine.

ThunarVFS used a timeout for forced change events to speed things up
but unlike GIO it had a singleton file monitor which made reacting on
these things easier.

  - Jannis