Thunar operations slow after 4.8 upgrade

Michael Orlitzky michael at orlitzky.com
Mon Feb 21 01:09:56 CET 2011

On 02/20/2011 12:15 PM, Nick Schermer wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Michael Orlitzky <michael at orlitzky.com> wrote:
>> I recently updated all three of my desktop machines to XFCE 4.8 from 4.6
>> (Gentoo stable, so Thunar is at 1.2.0).
>>
>> Everything went pretty much according to plan except that now all file
>> operations in Thunar take about a second to complete. For example, if I
>> hit the delete key with a file selected, I can expect to wait a second
>> before it gets deleted. In whatever-Thunar-I-had-with-4.6 these
>> operations were instantaneous.
>>
>> Did I screw something up during the upgrade, or is this expected/known?
>
> Known: http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.10/roadmap/thunar#improve_responsiveness_of_file_operations

I was able to fix this for some common operations (albeit ungracefully)
by disabling DBUS and adding the following line in a few places:

  thunar_standard_view_reload ( THUNAR_VIEW (standard_view));

Patch attached for good measure, no idea why it doesn't work with DBUS
enabled. If I had to wait for 4.10 for this I would probably lose a
combined week's worth of time waiting for things to delete =)