libxfce4ui vs. libxfcegui4

Florian Rivoal frivoal at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 00:28:40 CET 2011

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 01:38:15 +0900, Bela Markus <bmarkus at hasix.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm confused. libxfce4ui README says it is a replacement of old
> libxfcegui4 library. In fact, 4.8 components can be compiled without
> libxfcegui4 and system works fine.
>
> However xfce4-cpugraph-plugin-1.0.1.tar.bz2 and
> xfce4-cpufreq-plugin-1.0.0.tar.bz2 require  libxfcegui4. Do I need both
> libxfce4ui and  libxfcegui4 installed just to use plugins?

Yes. Core components of xfce now only need libxfce4ui. However, the
plugins you mentioned are better considered as software for xfce, rather
as software part of xfce. current releases of the cpugraph and cpufreq
plugins are compatible both with xfce 4.6 and 4.8, which is useful since
the release cycle of the plugins is not in sync with the main components.

Future version will be portedd from libxfcegui4 to libxfce4ui, which will
break free of that dependecy, at the expence of stopping to function on
xfce 4.6.

  - Florian