Apparent duplicate applications in "Session and Startup"

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 20 22:42:45 CET 2011

Am Mittwoch, den 14.12.2011, 10:01 +0000 schrieb Chris Green:
> I run xfce (as xubuntu 11.04) and I seem to have gathered a few
> extra/redundant applications running in the background.
>
> In my "Session and Startup" Application Autostart list I have:-
>
>     Certificate and Key Storage (GNOME Keyring: PKCS#11 Component)
>     Secret Storage Service (GNOME Keyring: Secret Service)

These are two different services, GPG and SSH

>     PolicyKit Authentication Agent (PolicyKit Authentication Agent)

PolicyKit is for local authorizations and has nothing to do with
seahorse.

>     Power Manager (Power Management daemon)
>     Power Manager (Power Management for the Xfce desktop)

I guess one is gnome-power-manager and the other xfce4-power-manager.

>     Volume Control (Show desktop volume control)
>     XFCE Volume Daemon (Daemon managing the volume multimedia keys and displaying volume notificatio ns)

xfce4-volumed und probaply gnome-media-applet

> I suspect the first three may actually be separate applications all of
> which should/could be running but it feels like the two Power Managers
> are wrong as also the Volume controls.
>
> It could well be that I have some KDE applications which have elbowed
> their way in (and/or some Gnome ones which duplicate xfce ones).
>
> Whatever, how can I sort this out?

Just look into the files to figure out which command they actually run.
Deactivate or uninstall the applications you don't need.

Regards,
Christoph