Apparent duplicate applications in "Session and Startup"

Maximilien Noal noal.maximilien at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 12:34:26 CET 2011

On 12/14/2011 11:01 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> I run xfce (as xubuntu 11.04) and I seem to have gathered a few
> extra/redundant applications running in the background.
>
> In my "Session and Startup" Application Autostart list I have:-
>
>      Certificate and Key Storage (GNOME Keyring: PKCS#11 Component)
>      Secret Storage Service (GNOME Keyring: Secret Service)
>      PolicyKit Authentication Agent (PolicyKit Authentication Agent)
>
>      Power Manager (Power Management daemon)
>      Power Manager (Power Management for the Xfce desktop)
>
>      Volume Control (Show desktop volume control)
>      XFCE Volume Daemon (Daemon managing the volume multimedia keys and displaying volume notificatio ns)
>

> I suspect the first three may actually be separate applications all of
> which should/could be running but it feels like the two Power Managers
> are wrong as also the Volume controls.
>
> It could well be that I have some KDE applications which have elbowed
> their way in (and/or some Gnome ones which duplicate xfce ones).
>
> Whatever, how can I sort this out?

Hi,

Here is what a fresh Xubuntu 11.04 installation shows in Session &
Startup > Application Autostart :
"
[  ] Xfce Settings helper
[  ] xfce4-tips (Tips and tricks)
[x] Certificates and Key Storage (GNOME Keyring: PKCS#11 Component)
[x] Update Notifier (Check for available updates automatically)
[x] Secret Storage Service (GNOME Keyring: Secret Service)
[  ] Notes (Ideal for your quick notes)
[x] Network Manager (Control your network connections)
[x] PulseAudio Sound System (Start the PulseAudio Sound System)
[x] Print Queue Applet (System tray icon for managing print jobs)
[x] PolicyKit Authentication Agent (PolicyKit Authentication Agent)
[x] SSH Key Agent (GNOME Keyring: SSH Agent)
[x] XFCE Volume Daemon (Daemon managing the volume multimedia keys and
displaying volume notifications)
[x] Check for new hardware drivers (Notifiy about new hardware drivers
available for the system)
[x] Power Manager (Power managment for the Xfce desktop) "

So I'd say "Volume Control (Show desktop volume control)" and "Power
Manager (Power manager daemon)" should not be there.