"Defaults" button in every settings screen

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Thu Dec 8 18:29:04 CET 2011

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 02:23:10 +0900
Andrzej <ndrwrdck at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 12/08/2011 07:48 AM, Robby Workman wrote:
> >
> >> I think one small but very useful feature that I would hope
> >> XFCE would inherit from KDE is "Defaults" button in desktop
> >> settings dialogs.
> >
> > I tend to agree that this would be useful.  Since nobody replied,
> > and since this list is primarily for user issues (as opposed to
> > development issues), please file a feature/enhancement request
> > on the bugzilla.
>
> I agree, this has bit me several times already. It's way too easy,
> for example, to wipe out the whole list of plugins in the panel.

And it is also easy to add them again. Personally, I'd say reverting to
default settings is almost useless because as a user you just don't
know what will happen if you press such a button. The current settings
may be much closer to what you really want than the default settings.

> Personally, I'd love to have some sort of load/save mechanism (with
> the "default" setup being on the list of profiles to load). This way
> we could even ship multiple preconfigured profiles for different use
> cases.

http://wiki.xfce.org/design/profile-manager - there were mockups but
they are gone now, but this is a related idea.

 - Jannis