"Defaults" button in every settings screen

Andrzej ndrwrdck at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 8 19:26:03 CET 2011

On 12/09/2011 02:29 AM, Jannis Pohlmann wrote:

>> I agree, this has bit me several times already. It's way too easy,
>> for example, to wipe out the whole list of plugins in the panel.
>
> And it is also easy to add them again. Personally, I'd say reverting to
> default settings is almost useless because as a user you just don't
> know what will happen if you press such a button. The current settings
> may be much closer to what you really want than the default settings.

That's why such mechanism should either work in both directions (load
_and_ save) or be combined with sort of "undo" capability. I agree that
the "default" button only doesn't really help.

>> Personally, I'd love to have some sort of load/save mechanism (with
>> the "default" setup being on the list of profiles to load). This way
>> we could even ship multiple preconfigured profiles for different use
>> cases.
>
> http://wiki.xfce.org/design/profile-manager - there were mockups but
> they are gone now, but this is a related idea.

Interesting.

I imagine this would be done per xfconf channel, wouldn't it. I wonder
if that's not too coarse approach, and if so, what would be the right
chunk of configuration to save/restore.

Andrzej