Volume keys not working properly

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 22 22:26:07 CEST 2011

Am Montag, den 22.08.2011, 20:30 +0200 schrieb Mike Massonnet:
> 2011/8/22 houghi <houghi at houghi.org>:
> > On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:56:53AM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> >>      2. Let Xfce handle the keys.
> >>              1. Either install xfce4-volumed or
> >>              2. set up keys in xfce4-keyboard-settings, e.g with
> >>                 XF86AudioRaiseVolume key: amixer set Master 10%+ -q"
> >>                 XF86AudioLowerVolume key: amixer set Master 10%- -q"
> >>                 XF86AudioMute key: amixer set Master toogle -q"
> >>
> >> If you use the latter, make sure amixer is installed.
> >
> > amixer was already installed so that now works. Thanks for getting it to
> > work.
> >
> > Still a bit confused as to why it stopped working in the first place.
>
> I can simply confirm how it behaves on my side, I have ArchLinux with
> Xfce installed from Git. While the multimedia work just fine through
> the xfce4-keyboard-settings dialog there are no default actions
> attached to them.

Right, and that is the reason this stopped working in 4.8. In Xfce 4.6
there were actions assigned by default, AFAIR it used aumix. aumix is
not available in Fedora or doesn't work properly, so we had to patch
this to amixer and when we updated to Xfce 4.8, I also ported the patch.
I guess the SUSE folks simply forgot it.

The question is: Should this be in libxfce4ui by default? There are a
few more shortcuts missing as you can see in
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=libxfce4ui.git;a=blob;f=libxfce4ui-4.7.6-keyboard-shortcuts.patch;h=e6aab11de4c9df97fecbd53ab9e423acb30f3791;hb=HEAD

Regards,
Christoph