Volume keys not working properly

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 20:30:10 CEST 2011

2011/8/22 houghi <houghi at houghi.org>:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:56:53AM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>> You are obviously using two different volume controls. The panel plugin
>> is using xfce4-mixer (ALSA) and the keys are handled by
>> gnome-sound-applet or gnome-volume-control (name depends on the GNOME
>> version you use, likely uses PulseAudio). You better only use one.
>
> Nothing was running from the above from gnome.
>

>> This means:
>>      1. Disable the startup of gnome-* in xfce4-session-settings.
>
> It wasn't enabled. :-/
>
>>      2. Let Xfce handle the keys.
>>              1. Either install xfce4-volumed or
>>              2. set up keys in xfce4-keyboard-settings, e.g with
>>                 XF86AudioRaiseVolume key: amixer set Master 10%+ -q"
>>                 XF86AudioLowerVolume key: amixer set Master 10%- -q"
>>                 XF86AudioMute key: amixer set Master toogle -q"
>>
>> If you use the latter, make sure amixer is installed.
>
> amixer was already installed so that now works. Thanks for getting it to
> work.
>
> Still a bit confused as to why it stopped working in the first place.

I can simply confirm how it behaves on my side, I have ArchLinux with
Xfce installed from Git. While the multimedia work just fine through
the xfce4-keyboard-settings dialog there are no default actions
attached to them.

I created myself a bunch of script for each key and attached them as
keyboard shortcuts, this works out just fine.

My 2 cents
--
Mike