XFCE 4.8.0 logs out instead of shutting down

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Mon Aug 22 14:42:30 CEST 2011

On lun., 2011-08-22 at 08:03 -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
> I'm not sure this is related directly, but in Debian testing GDM became
> obsolete. Nowadays new installations of Debian testing with Xfce use
> XDM. That results in being able to only log out (no poweroff or reboot)
> with a standard account. I used visudo to grant permissions to use the
> scripts to regular users and created launchers for them so that they
> could shut down and restart in a more-or-less familiar manner. I'm not
> sure what the Debian maintainers of Xfce are planning, but using GDM3 is
> for the birds. It drags a ton of dependencies and does a fair job of
> breaking Xfce right now -- unless I'm very careful. I wound up
> re-installing a test system after experimenting with GDM3.

I didn't notice gdm had been removed from testing. We are in the process
of switching to lightdm, which works pretty fine wrt. setting up
policykit/consolekit permissions.

> I also tried SLiM on a test system, and it worked pretty well with Xfce
> (and is prettier than XDM), but I ran into a few little problems and
> decided to stick with what Debian testing is installing as the default
> DM these days -- at least until the dust settles down a bit.

You an install lightdm package right now, and it should fix your
problems. Thanks for the notice about xdm though.

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis