XFCE 4.8.0 logs out instead of shutting down

Gilbert Sullivan whirly.gig at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 22 15:41:49 CEST 2011

On 08/22/2011 08:17 AM, michal.s at free-media.eu wrote:
>> I'm not sure this is related directly, but in Debian testing GDM became
>> obsolete. Nowadays new installations of Debian testing with Xfce use
>> XDM.
>
> I don't think this is related with this problem. I use Xubuntu, where GDM
> is used, and the problem is showing up sometimes. But it may be caused by
> some kind of dropping GDM privilages. I don't know... Next time I will look
> into the logs.

Well, that's interesting. And your point about privilege settings which
accompany the use of GDM with the policy kit are exactly what I was
thinking about.

I can tell you that these problems go away immediately in Debian testing
(with xfdesktop4 version 4.8.2 if I jury rig a "downgrade" of the DM to
GDM or if I install GDM3. GDM was okay for me (but now unsupported in
the repositories), but GDM3 just ain't happening on any of the systems I
support. The dependencies do a real number on Xfce if you're not
careful. And who wants two power managers installed? It's hard enough to
get one set up right on some systems.

OT: Debian testing is just chock full of wonkiness these days. There are
some REALLY bizarre things happening with the Mozilla apps like
iceweasel and icedove.