XFCE 4.8.0 logs out instead of shutting down

Gilbert Sullivan whirly.gig at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 22 15:47:23 CEST 2011

On 08/22/2011 08:42 AM, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On lun., 2011-08-22 at 08:03 -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
>> I'm not sure this is related directly, but in Debian testing GDM became
>> obsolete. Nowadays new installations of Debian testing with Xfce use
>> XDM. That results in being able to only log out (no poweroff or reboot)
>> with a standard account. I used visudo to grant permissions to use the
>> scripts to regular users and created launchers for them so that they
>> could shut down and restart in a more-or-less familiar manner. I'm not
>> sure what the Debian maintainers of Xfce are planning, but using GDM3 is
>> for the birds. It drags a ton of dependencies and does a fair job of
>> breaking Xfce right now -- unless I'm very careful. I wound up
>> re-installing a test system after experimenting with GDM3.
>
> I didn't notice gdm had been removed from testing. We are in the process
> of switching to lightdm, which works pretty fine wrt. setting up
> policykit/consolekit permissions.

That's nice to hear. XDM works okay for me, but fiddling with a few
dozen systems so that my users can shut down, restart, and mount drives
(Mounting through Thunar is broken since loss of GDM, too.) without
using a command line utility is kind of frustrating.

>> I also tried SLiM on a test system, and it worked pretty well with Xfce
>> (and is prettier than XDM), but I ran into a few little problems and
>> decided to stick with what Debian testing is installing as the default
>> DM these days -- at least until the dust settles down a bit.
>
> You an install lightdm package right now, and it should fix your
> problems. Thanks for the notice about xdm though.

I really appreciate this suggestion. I hadn't even thought of lightdm,
so now I have a little chore to do this afternoon.

;-)

Thank you for the information, and thank you and all others involved in
the project for this terrific desktop environment.

Regards,
Gilbert