Volume keys not working properly

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Sun Aug 21 14:47:54 CEST 2011

I want to get the KEY_VOLUMEUP and KEY_VOLUMEDOWN keys working again with
XFCE 4.8.0 in openSUSE 11.4 64 bit.

I have them linked to two keys on my mouse and they used to work
perfectly. I also have the Mixer Plugin and scrolling there works.

What I now see when I try them is a huge speaker with an indicator of how
loud it should be. When pressing the keys, the indicator changes, so that
part is working.

However where the indicator changed the volume as well as the indicator on
the Mixer Plugin, now the volume nor the indicator on the plugin change.

So the Plugin is showing the real thing, while the keys are linked to the
big icon and do nothing anymore.
http://houghi.eu/s/17MZ7N0X.png shows the big icon at almost 100% while
the Plugin (bottom left) is at 0%

When I go to "Session and Startup) I have "Volume Control", "GMixer" and
"PulseAudio" that are audio related. They are off. I have tried turning
them on in various combinations of 1, 2 or all three, bu there is no
difference.

As a workaround I can use the plugin, but I would rather see things
working as expected.

houghi
--
  We all came out to Montreux           Frank Zappa and the Mothers
 On the Lake Geneva shoreline           Were at the best place around