Change display resolution after XRANDR

Fernando Antunes fs.antunes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 03:36:04 CET 2010

Hi.

I'm a notebook user and I have a external LCD monitor at work connected
through the VGA port. I don't have a xorg.config file, so I enable this
monitor using xranrd :

xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1280x800 --primary
xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1280x1024 --above LVDS1

After that command, my display was enlarged, but XFCE have a lot of problems
to work on it. Some applications doesn't switch between monitors, maximize
windows doesn't work, and many others things. I think the problem is XFCE
doesn't know about the change done by xranrd. If you check
xfce4-display-settings, the resoluion didn't change and the maximum allowed
is 1280x800 (LVDS1 - the notebook screen resolution).

I trying to resolve this changing the XFCE resolution by
xfconf-query -c displays -p /Default/Screen_0/Resolution -s "new resolution
AxB". The configuration is changed in the file, but the resolution of the
screen doesn't.

Is there a way to force some xfce4 program to reload the new resolution in
the file and resize the monitor ?

Thanks.