Change display resolution after XRANDR

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 08:55:47 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 3:36 AM, Fernando Antunes <fs.antunes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm a notebook user and I have a external LCD monitor at work connected
> through the VGA port. I don't have a xorg.config file, so I enable this
> monitor using xranrd :
>
> xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1280x800 --primary
> xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1280x1024 --above LVDS1
>
> After that command, my display was enlarged, but XFCE have a lot of problems
> to work on it. Some applications doesn't switch between monitors, maximize
> windows doesn't work, and many others things. I think the problem is XFCE
> doesn't know about the change done by xranrd. If you check
> xfce4-display-settings, the resoluion didn't change and the maximum allowed
> is 1280x800 (LVDS1 - the notebook screen resolution).
>
> I trying to resolve this changing the XFCE resolution by
> xfconf-query -c displays -p /Default/Screen_0/Resolution -s "new resolution
> AxB". The configuration is changed in the file, but the resolution of the
> screen doesn't.
>
> Is there a way to force some xfce4 program to reload the new resolution in
> the file and resize the monitor ?

that should work automatically.

Can you build and run the following program and post the output?

http://www.foo-projects.org/~olivier/misc/enum-displays.c

That will tell the actual layout as it's seen by the apps.

Oh, and also, please give some details on the version of xfce you run,
the output of "xfwm4 --version" is a start.

Cheers,
Olivier.