New Gentoo install - why does main menu not have icons?

Mișu Moldovan dumol at gnome.ro
Tue Mar 2 11:23:49 CET 2010

Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> a scris:
> I've just done a complete Gentoo install from scratch. The machine is
> up and running (I'm using it now) and XFCE looks good so far but one
> thing I notice is that the main XFCE menu on the bottom left doesn't
> have any icons associated with about 1/2 of the items. (Specifically
> Settings, accessories, Development, Multimedia and System)
>
> Is there some package the Gentoo devs have made optional that might
> fill all that in?
>
> I've not seen this on my other machines which also have either Gnome,
> KDE or both. This machine has neither and shows the problem.

I've experienced the same problem lately and, from what I've seen, the
xfce-base/xfce4-meta-4.6.1 only pulls x11-themes/hicolor-icon-theme and
x11-themes/xfce4-icon-theme, but this is not enough to have icons
associated with all menu items. In my case, x11-themes/gnome-icon-theme
fixed the issue, but x11-themes/tango-icon-theme should also do it.

If that works for you too, don't thank me, instead please fill a bug in
Gentoo's Bugzilla, so that others get to benefit from this... :)

--
mișu