New Gentoo install - why does main menu not have icons?

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Tue Mar 2 10:42:05 CET 2010

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 03:35:22 pm Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 7:55 PM, David Mohr <squisher at xfce.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I've just done a complete Gentoo install from scratch. The machine is
> >> up and running (I'm using it now) and XFCE looks good so far but one
> >> thing I notice is that the main XFCE menu on the bottom left doesn't
> >> have any icons associated with about 1/2 of the items. (Specifically
> >> Settings, accessories, Development, Multimedia and System)
> >>
> >> Is there some package the Gentoo devs have made optional that might
> >> fill all that in?
> >>
> >> I've not seen this on my other machines which also have either Gnome,
> >> KDE or both. This machine has neither and shows the problem.
> >
> > Have you installed an icon theme like tango?
> >
> > ~David
>
> No. Didn't even know it was there or associated with XFCE.
>
> So, is it expected that themes must be installed to fill out the menu
> icons properly?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

What icons do you see in other apps?  I normally run KDE, and had KDE icons in
OpenOffice.  Xfce uses the GTK toolkit, so I needed a GTK icon theme.  A package
to give me a Tango theme in OO was available.

I have a Mandriva version of Xubuntu - an Xfce live CD installed.
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/XFCELive2010.

It has a package specifically of Xfce "Rodent" icons.  The package notes claim
that it should be enough for anybody running both GNOME and Xfce, except for a
couple.  I have the Tango theme installed as well, by default.

I see that there is a package xfwm4-themes in the official Xfce download.  I
don't know if that includes icons.  It seems to have enough themes to give a
lifetime of variety.

Doug.