Bug? Alt-Fx keys switch VTs

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Mon Jun 7 14:18:53 CEST 2010

On 07/06/2010 13:58, Michal Sojka wrote:
> after a recent upgrade of my Debian unstable, I experience very wired
> behavior of certain keyboard shortcuts. It seems that keyboard shortcuts
> that have some meaning in Linux text console (namely Alt-Fx,
> Alt-left/right, Ctrl-Alt-Del) retains this same meaning even if I log to
> Xfce (through GDM). This is very annoying since I heavily use Alt-F2 to
> execute xfrun4 and instead of showing me the dialog box, now it switches
> me to the text console. Also pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del (which I map to
> xfce4-session-logout) reboots my computer unconditionally.

Hmmh, I'm not sure, but it seems that the system behaves as if the ctrl
key was always pressed or something. Maybe check the keymap settings (in
Xfce and in the system)?

Maybe an xorg change triggered that, but (using debian unstable too on
multiple boxes) I didn't experienced such a change. But we uploaded Xfce
4.6.2 recently to unstable so it /might/ be related, altough I don't
know what could cause that.

> I'm not sure whether it is Xfce related but if I first log in and out to
> KDE and then I login to Xfce, the problem disappears. I've tried to boot
> different kernels (2.6.3[234]) and the problem appears in all of them.

That sound very weird. Maybe check with moving your Xfce config out of
the way (move .config/xfce somewhere else, keep a backup). If it fixes
the problem, you might have to check the diff between the two
configuration folders.

Cheers,
--
Yves-Alexis