How do I set up Xfce to operate remotely?

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 10:01:54 CET 2010

2010/1/27 Todd and Margo Chester <ToddAndMargo at verizon.net>:

>> To be honest this question is not at all Xfce related, but easy enough
>> to answer:
>> - Use remote X, like ssh -X
>>    (kind of slow, requires X server on windows)
>
> I thought this was a command shell.  Like telnet only secure.
> Am I missing something?
>
>> - Use NX, fast and pretty comfortable. Client is non not open source but
>> free.
>>    (nomachine.com, or look for freenx, possibly neatx)
>
> I have tried nomachine, but found it a mess.  When I exit,
> one of my processors is (on the server) is max'ed out.
>
>> - Use VNC, not as fast / pretty looking, easy to set up
>>    (look for tightvnc, realvnc for windows)
>
> Tried using vncserver.  But, got the 100 % on one of my
> processors on exit.  And twm really sucks.  If I run Xfce, it
> spreads itself all over the place -- a real mess.

http://bobpeers.com/linux/vnc.php

It suggests that the default session to run is configured via ~/.vnc/xstartup

> I have not had much luck with all this.
>
> Is there a way just to run "X" windows with Xfce
> as the GUI remotely?  I would love it if my first
> screen was my gdm greeter.

Not sure you will like this, login via ssh -X (lets you start
graphical apps) and run Xephyr (make sure it is installed), f.e.:

  Xephyr -ac -host-cursor -screen 1024x768x16 :2

will run an X server on DISPLAY=:2, you can then run further guis by
typing in the logged in terminal xfwm4&, xfce4-panel&, xfdesktop& etc
and don't forget to export the variable DISPLAY to the correct value.
This will have a clear lag in restricted bandwidth.

HTH
Mike

> Many thanks,
> -T