How do I set up Xfce to operate remotely?

Todd and Margo Chester ToddAndMargo at verizon.net
Wed Jan 27 20:51:21 CET 2010

> To be honest this question is not at all Xfce related, but easy enough
> to answer:
> - Use remote X, like ssh -X
>     (kind of slow, requires X server on windows)

I thought this was a command shell.  Like telnet only secure.
Am I missing something?

> - Use NX, fast and pretty comfortable. Client is non not open source but free.
>     (nomachine.com, or look for freenx, possibly neatx)

I have tried nomachine, but found it a mess.  When I exit,
one of my processors is (on the server) is max'ed out.

> - Use VNC, not as fast / pretty looking, easy to set up
>     (look for tightvnc, realvnc for windows)

Tried using vncserver.  But, got the 100 % on one of my
processors on exit.  And twm really sucks.  If I run Xfce, it
spreads itself all over the place -- a real mess.

I have not had much luck with all this.

Is there a way just to run "X" windows with Xfce
as the GUI remotely?  I would love it if my first
screen was my gdm greeter.

Many thanks,
-T