ANNOUNCE: parole 0.2.0 released

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 15:42:19 CET 2010

2010/1/12 Liviu Andronic <landronimirc at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Ali Abdallah <aliov at xfce.org> wrote:
>> What do you mean by 'doesn't work', doesn't work at all or you don't hear
>> audio?
>>
> I don't hear audio, while there is no error message.
>

>> what the error message that you are getting from the pipline?
>>
> None that I notice. For the following I can hear the test sound (a
> long, loud beep).
> liviu at debian-liv:~$ gst-launch audiotestsrc ! audioconvert !
> audioresample ! alsasink

[snip]
> New clock: GstAudioSinkClock
[snip]

> For the following there is no sound.
> liviu at debian-liv:~$ gst-launch-0.10 playbin
> uri=file:///"/home/liviu/Music/from_internet/perpetuummobile.mp3"

[snip]
> New clock: GstPulseSinkClock
[snip]

> In root the test sound also works fine. However, playing the .mp3---as
> well as parole and totem---works (I can hear the music), with no
> visible difference in the messages:
> debian-liv:/home/liviu# gst-launch-0.10 playbin
> uri=file:///"/home/liviu/Music/from_internet/perpetuummobile.mp3"
[snip]
> New clock: GstAudioSinkClock
[snip]

This lets me think that you cannot play audio via pulse audio. The two
working test cases were using the alsasink element. Check in your user
if a daemon pulsed or anything related is running. Kill them and try
to play a file again (with gst-launch which makes debugging easier).

If it works fine without pulse audio, I suggest you uninstall it.

Regards
Mike

> I tried to re-initialise gstreamer for user by moving
> /home/liviu/.gstreamer-0.10
> /home/liviu/.gconf/system/gstreamer
>
> to *.bak, but I cannot notice any difference.
>
> Hmm, I wonder whether this can be pin-pointed to (interaction with)
> xfce4-volumed. Whenever I start playing a file with Parole, the daemon
> displays a notification of volume change. This doesn't happen in root,
> since the daemon is not running. I just tried stopping and terminating
> the daemon, but again with no success: there will no longer be
> notifications of volume change on playback start (in Parole), but the
> file will be playing with no sound.
>
> Regards
> Liviu

Mike