ANNOUNCE: parole 0.2.0 released

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 14:52:29 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Ali Abdallah <aliov at xfce.org> wrote:
> What do you mean by 'doesn't work', doesn't work at all or you don't hear
> audio?

I don't hear audio, while there is no error message.

> what the error message that you are getting from the pipline?

None that I notice. For the following I can hear the test sound (a
long, loud beep).
liviu at debian-liv:~$ gst-launch audiotestsrc ! audioconvert !
audioresample ! alsasink

(gst-launch-0.10:8384): GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstAudioSinkClock
^CCaught interrupt -- handling interrupt.
Interrupt: Stopping pipeline ...
Execution ended after 1200960899 ns.
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Setting pipeline to READY ...
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

For the following there is no sound.
liviu at debian-liv:~$ gst-launch-0.10 playbin
uri=file:///"/home/liviu/Music/from_internet/perpetuummobile.mp3"

(gst-launch-0.10:8388): GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstPulseSinkClock
^CCaught interrupt -- handling interrupt.
Interrupt: Stopping pipeline ...
Execution ended after 3949474406 ns.
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Setting pipeline to READY ...
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

In root the test sound also works fine. However, playing the .mp3---as
well as parole and totem---works (I can hear the music), with no
visible difference in the messages:
debian-liv:/home/liviu# gst-launch-0.10 playbin
uri=file:///"/home/liviu/Music/from_internet/perpetuummobile.mp3"
(gst-launch-0.10:8550): GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstAudioSinkClock
^CCaught interrupt -- handling interrupt.
Interrupt: Stopping pipeline ...
Execution ended after 6337899537 ns.
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Setting pipeline to READY ...
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

I tried to re-initialise gstreamer for user by moving
/home/liviu/.gstreamer-0.10
/home/liviu/.gconf/system/gstreamer

to *.bak, but I cannot notice any difference.

Hmm, I wonder whether this can be pin-pointed to (interaction with)
xfce4-volumed. Whenever I start playing a file with Parole, the daemon
displays a notification of volume change. This doesn't happen in root,
since the daemon is not running. I just tried stopping and terminating
the daemon, but again with no success: there will no longer be
notifications of volume change on playback start (in Parole), but the
file will be playing with no sound.

Regards
Liviu