Where are the mouse button actions defined?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Sun Aug 22 23:13:00 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 10:35:43PM +0200, David Mohr wrote:
> On 08/22/2010 06:15 PM, Chris G wrote:
> > *Surely* somewhere in the guts of X in a configuration file somewhere
> > there must be something that actually maps button numbers to 'Left',
> > 'Right' and 'Middle'
>
> My guess is that "left" is simply an alias for "button 1", "right" for
> "button 2" and middle "for button 3".
>
> > and also something that maps actions (like select
> > text) to button actions like double-click.
>
> That's the toolkit, gtk, if the app doesn't do something fancy.
>
> As always with questions that have pretty much nothing to do with Xfce,
> you probably would get better answers somewhere else :-). Here I believe
> mentioning what you would like to achieve could help you get better answers.

I want to get my fourth button (which for arcane reasons know to
itself Linux thinks is 'button 9') to do what, by default, a double
click of button 1 does.

The *horrible* mess of using an application to 'catch' button 9 and
simulate clicking button 1 twice to do this has stopped working on
Xubuntu 10.04 (it used to work OK on 9.04 and 9.10). I've decided
that the only sensible way to do it is simply to tell the system that
I want the actions normally associated with "Double Click Button 1"
should instead be associated with "Click Button 9".  Simple, if I can
find where this association is effected.

--
Chris Green