connman plugin needed(Was: XFCE-counterpart of KDE-Networkmanager)

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 08:51:35 CEST 2010

2010/8/5 Auke Kok <sofar at foo-projects.org>:
> I personally can't believe nobody has written an xfce gui frontend for
> connman yet.
>
> connman fits the typical usage models where Xfce as a desktop makes sense
> and a lot of distro's that would package Xfce would totally be benefitted by
> having some integration with connman, just like Moblin/MeeGo currently has.
>
> so, this is a personal call out from me (as MeeGo developer who maintains
> the xfce4 packages for MeeGo) to the Xfce community to get a connman UI
> frontend for Xfce4 developed.
>
> Anyone interested?
>
> This is an excellent starter project. Connman has an extensive dbus API that
> is well documented and has plenty of good examples and test cases (even in
> python) available to make something simple and get it working quickly. I can
> potentially assist if people are interested in taking this up.

The gconnman client library has been changing a lot during the Moblin
days, I wonder if it can be considered stable now -- e.g. it won't
change again in few months. Afaict, gnome-connman (what it was called)
depended on it, but than it began to be unmaintained, and trying to
fix it was a horror. Actually, did this lib go anywhere (probably a
stupid question)? From a quick look I can find it on git.moblin.org[1]
in the category "deprecated" (commits stalled around July 2009).

[1]  http://git.moblin.org/cgit.cgi/deprecated/gconnman/tree/

Looking at the connman source[2], shall clients only work with the
DBus API? Can it work already with GDBus/GVariant? Is the
documentation provided with --enable-gtk-doc complete? The doc/[3]
directory looks indeed very well!

[2] http://gitorious.org/connman/mainline/trees/master
[3] http://gitorious.org/connman/mainline/trees/master/doc

I'm also wondering why nobody wouldn't write a client for connman now.
One can always look at carrick, although I fail to find the git
repository, to get an idea of a well-done client.

I have other stupid questions, but that's it for now. First I'll have
to build it (currently I'm using network manager, and I'm very happy
with it, so I'm not interested into a wannabe-connman-client project,
but I certainly do _like_ the idea). If something takes a nice turn,
I'll let it know.

--
Mike