XFCE-counterpart of KDE-Networkmanager

Al Bogner xfce at ml093.pinguin.uni.cc
Wed Aug 4 21:02:52 CEST 2010

Am Wed, 4 Aug 2010 15:16:47 +0200
schrieb houghi <houghi at houghi.org>:

> On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 02:06:51PM +0200, Al Bogner wrote:
> > Do I really need to setup everything manually? With wicd SSID was
> > recognized automatically. I cant find with my Friztbox setup BSSID.
> > Can I leave it empty with the nm-applet?

Thanks again for your reply. First I have to say, I got it work
generally, but not as I would like.

> Much will depend on what is needed for the Frizbox. What I do is the
> following:
> Click left. Select the connection I want, enter the password and
> connect.

Does the password make sense _here_? I think it is no secret to connect
to my own AP.

> And that is it. Next time I am automagically connected
>
> Now when I click right, I see all the connections I have made,
> including the one to my own router. What I see there is the following:
>
> Connection Name : Auto <nameOfSSID>
> Connect Automatically is selected.
>
> Tab Wireless:
> SSID : The SSID
> Mode : Infrastructure
> BSSID : <empty>
> MAC Address <empty>
> MTU : Autoatic
>
> Tab Wireless Security:
> Security "WPA & WPA Personal"
> Password: **********
> Show Password unmarked.

That's the question, if this is a good choice. Isn't WPA2-EAP the
preferred connection? I didn't find out, how to setup WPA2-EAP.

> IPv4 Settings:
> Method DHCP
> All the rest empty
>
> IPv6 Settings:
> Ignore
>
> This is the second time I looked at it.
>
> The only thing you should need to do is left click and make the
> connection. Once that works, the next tie you should autoconnect
> (unless you decide to change that)

> Advantage is that you will have automatic connection when you are at a
> second location after the first initial connection.
>
> > I would prefer not to use a dhcp-server, but if it is a lot easier,
> > I will use one. This was no problem with wicd too.
>
> Unless there is a specific reason to use something else, I would go
> with DHCP. It is much easier to use DHCP. I have done so since about
> 10 years. Much easier to have the configuration done at the DHCP
> server on the router then to do the configuration of each individual
> PC.

I like to access my machines with ip-addresses and not with names. In
my LAN everything is setup without DHCP. The DHCP-server of the
Fritzbox allows to limit the IP-address range, so I can define the
range to 1 IP-address.

> Much has also to do with the setup of your wireless router. Mine is
> configured with WPA2 only WPA-PKA,

mine too at the moment, but I would like to setup EAP.

> allows only certain MAC-adresses

I can do this too.

> and will give fixed IPs to those MAC-adresses.

I didn't find out how to do this. It looks like, I can assing
MAC-addresses only. As long as I am testing, I do not restrict to the
MAC-address.

> Therefore I have the above configuration.
>
> If your router needs other configuration, you might need to change the
> settings.

My question is how to setup EAP with nm-applet.

Al