XFCE-counterpart of KDE-Networkmanager

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Wed Aug 4 15:16:47 CEST 2010

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 02:06:51PM +0200, Al Bogner wrote:
> Do I really need to setup everything manually? With wicd SSID was
> recognized automatically. I cant find with my Friztbox setup BSSID. Can
> I leave it empty with the nm-applet?

Much will depend on what is needed for the Frizbox. What I do is the
following:
Click left. Select the connection I want, enter the password and connect.

And that is it. Next time I am automagically connected

Now when I click right, I see all the connections I have made, including
the one to my own router. What I see there is the following:

Connection Name : Auto <nameOfSSID>
Connect Automatically is selected.

Tab Wireless:
SSID : The SSID
Mode : Infrastructure
BSSID : <empty>
MAC Address <empty>
MTU : Autoatic

Tab Wireless Security:
Security "WPA & WPA Personal"
Password: **********
Show Password unmarked.

IPv4 Settings:
Method DHCP
All the rest empty

IPv6 Settings:
Ignore

This is the second time I looked at it.

The only thing you should need to do is left click and make the
connection. Once that works, the next tie you should autoconnect (unless
you decide to change that)

Advantage is that you will have automatic connection when you are at a
second location after the first initial connection.

> I would prefer not to use a dhcp-server, but if it is a lot easier, I
> will use one. This was no problem with wicd too.

Unless there is a specific reason to use something else, I would go with
DHCP. It is much easier to use DHCP. I have done so since about 10 years.
Much easier to have the configuration done at the DHCP server on the
router then to do the configuration of each individual PC.

Much has also to do with the setup of your wireless router. Mine is
configured with WPA2 only WPA-PKA, allows only certain MAC-adresses and will give
fixed IPs to those MAC-adresses. Therefore I have the above configuration.

If your router needs other configuration, you might need to change the
settings.

houghi
--
This is written under the inluence of the following: