XFCE-counterpart of KDE-Networkmanager

Al Bogner xfce at ml093.pinguin.uni.cc
Wed Aug 4 14:06:51 CEST 2010

Am Wed, 4 Aug 2010 12:46:42 +0200
schrieb houghi <houghi at houghi.org>:

Hi,

> On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 07:30:34AM +0200, Mike Massonnet wrote:
> > Inside /etc/init.d/ there is a script for NetworkManager, make sure
> > it is configured to run (cf. update-rc.d (8) for Debian systems).
>
> In openSUSE this is configured in YaST, Network Devices, Network
> Settings. In the tab "Global Options" select "User controlled with
> NetworkManager" and YaST will set everything correctly, restart
> network and see that it starts at boot.
>
> Most likely there will be other ways to set this, but this is (I
> think) the easiest way with openSUSE.

Thanks, that was a big step forward. A wired connection works now, but
I have problems with the wireless connection.

Do I really need to setup everything manually? With wicd SSID was
recognized automatically. I cant find with my Friztbox setup BSSID. Can
I leave it empty with the nm-applet?

I would prefer not to use a dhcp-server, but if it is a lot easier, I
will use one. This was no problem with wicd too.

Al