OT-ANN: grub-choose-default 0.6

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Tue Apr 20 02:08:30 CEST 2010

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:30:46 -0600
David Mohr <squisher at xfce.org> wrote:

> When switching OSes it is a pain to wait for the reboot to get to the
> grub menu to select the other OS you want to boot. With
> grub-choose-default you can quickly select the OS you want to boot,
> reboot, and switch the default again from the other OS.

My sentiments exactly.  There has been a similar project on
freshmeat.net. I am a nervy type, and have developed a habit of
rebooting then walking away from the computer, so I get the default
entry when I didn't want it.  It is amazing how often that can happen.

LILO had a command line switch to preset the OS to boot into. Mandriva
has "rebootin" where I can reboot into a particular LILO or GRUB entry
from the command line. Both work only from the OS where lilo.conf or
Grub's menu.lst is installed, and both require sudo.

Doug.