OT-ANN: grub-choose-default 0.6

David Mohr squisher at xfce.org
Tue Apr 20 02:27:55 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws at hotkey.net.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:30:46 -0600
> David Mohr <squisher at xfce.org> wrote:
>
>> When switching OSes it is a pain to wait for the reboot to get to the
>> grub menu to select the other OS you want to boot. With
>> grub-choose-default you can quickly select the OS you want to boot,
>> reboot, and switch the default again from the other OS.
>
> My sentiments exactly.  There has been a similar project on
> freshmeat.net.

I'm glad you like it! I'm not aware of another project with the same
goal. If you happen to remember the name, please let me know.

> [...]
> LILO had a command line switch to preset the OS to boot into. Mandriva
> has "rebootin" where I can reboot into a particular LILO or GRUB entry
> from the command line. Both work only from the OS where lilo.conf or
> Grub's menu.lst is installed, and both require sudo.

Of course sudo will be required -- you are changing a system setting
after all. From the cli you can do the same using "grub-set-default"
everywhere grub is used (v1.98+). This GUI is essentially just a
frontend for that cli tool on Linux.

~David