ANNOUNCE: xfce4-volumed 0.1.4 released

Brian J. Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Wed Oct 28 02:47:05 CET 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 17:11, Steve Dodier <sidnioulz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I implemented support for all libnotify daemons via
> notify_notification_update in xfce4-volumed 0.1.5. I reckon I should have
> done it from the beginning and apologize for not having thought about people
> who were not using the apps I used.

Thanks so much!

> My decision was first based upon the fact that with non-sync daemons, the
> notification wouldn't always be shown synchronously if there are a lot of
> notifications stacked, and upon the fact that anyway there was the mixer's
> panel plugin. I must say that if this is true in Xubuntu, it's not for every
> XFCE users. Thus, I was wrong.

Actually the synchronize hint supported by ubuntu serves something of
a different purpose than its name would seem to indicate.  All it
really does is determine whether notify-osd treats it as a
confirmation or notification.

AFAICT (not tested, just going by Canonical's spec at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotifyOSD), you should actually not have to do
any sniffing at all... you can probably just set the hints all the
time, and notification daemon's that don't support them will just
ignore them.  I guess it doesn't really matter much for your code tho.

> Thanks Brian for having brought this problem to my attention. I hope you'll
> enjoy xfce4-volumed with real libnotify support :)

Yay, I'll give it a try tonight or tomorrow ^_^

     -brian