thunar file associations

Sam Black samwwwblack at lapwing.org
Tue Oct 27 12:05:47 CET 2009

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 11:51:19 +0100
Miek Gieben <miek at miek.nl> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have the following problem.  (This is with Thunar 0.9.3 on openSUSE)
>
> How can I configure system-wide file associations with Thunar? Right
> now *.pdf files are openened with Gimp and I want to change this to
> evince. (This is for more than 150+ people, so right-click-change will
> not do).
>
> I read that some of these settings are stored in
> ~/.cache/Thunar/metafile.tdb. Compiling tdbtool myself and checking
> the file seems to show it is empty - even if I change the file
> associations. (tdbtool also segfaults shortly there after).
>
> But where are the defaults (hopefully system-wide) stored, as I
> rather change those?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Regards,
> Miek Gieben

You can create /usr/share/applications/defaults.list with the following;

[Default Applications]
application/pdf=evince.desktop

Or append "application/pdf=evince.desktop" if defaults.list already
exists.

There is a per user defaults.list in ~/.local/share/applications as
well, which XFCE edits directly when you right click and change the
handling application.

Hope this helps,

--
Kind Regards,