xfdesktop woes

Hinko Kocevar hinko.kocevar at i-tech.si
Mon Nov 9 14:01:32 CET 2009

Jannis Pohlmann wrote:

> Ok, back to the topic:
>
>> - now and then after system startup and logging into X session my
>> windows would lose decorations i.e. toolbar and window manager
>> buttons,
>
> This sounds like the window manager is crashing and is not restarted
> for some reason. At least the window decorations are controlled *only*
> by xfwm4. If they are gone, xfwm4 is not running. I'm not sure what you
> mean by "toolbars". Those are usually part of the applications and are
> unlikely to disappear for any reason.

I can see this issue arising every now and then after the boot up. I'll
investigate in more detail and provide info on when it actually happens
and what processes are running.
'Toolbars' are the things controlled by the Window Manager -> Style ->
Theme :). Correct wording would probably be window decorations as you
put it.

>> - several xfdesktop processes are spawned at log in - is this causing
>> blinking icons on he desktop?,
>
> There was a bug in xfdesktop or xfce4-sesession that caused some
> applications (and xfdesktop in particular) to be started several (up to
> a few dozen) times. I think that was fixed but I'm not sure the fix was
> part of the 4.6.1 release. Brian?
>
>> - log in takes far more time then before the 4.6.1 upgrade,
>
> Hmm, not sure about this one. Again, we had a bug slowing the login
> process down dramatically (took up to 20+ seconds on some machines). We
> fixed that too, but I'd have to look at the revision log to check
> *when* it was fixed.

This was on the same machine that 4.4 release was running up to now, and
with that release I had no problem in logging in in ~5 - 7  seconds. I
think this might also be connected to the fact that several xfdesktop
processes are spawned when I try to log in.

>> - can not use my custom JPG file as desktop background as I used to -
>> stock files seem to work just fine, FWIW they are PNG though
>
> As Christoph mentioned earlier, this might be related to the
> dependencies GTK+ was build with. GTK+ (and thus all Xfce apps) uses
> GdkPixbuf to load images. GdkPixbuf is part of GTK+ and ships loaders
> for several image formats that are enabled/disabled depending on the
> libraries that are present at build time. So you might want to
> recompile GTK+ with JPEG support. This doesn't sound like a problem
> with xfdesktop itself.

Looking at the USE flag in /etc/make.conf I see that jpeg is enabled
system wide. I have not changed the flags before emerging Xfce 4.6.1,
but I'll recompile the gtk+ anyways.
For gtk+ in particular I have following flags already enabled/disabled:

USE="cups jpeg -debug -doc -jpeg2k -test -tiff -vim-syntax -xinerama"

Hmm, maybe I should enable 'jpeg2k' flag also, that is currently disabled?
[-    ] jpeg2k - Support for JPEG 2000, a wavelet-based image
compression format

Thanks!

Best regards,
Hinko

>   - Jannis

Hinko Kocevar
Technical support software engineer
Instrumentation Technologies
Velika pot 22, SI-5250 Solkan - Slovenia
T:+386 5 3352600, F:+386 5 3352601
mailto: hinko.kocevar at i-tech.si

http://www.i-tech.si - When your users demand stability

The information transmitted is intended solely for the addressee and may
contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any review, retention,
disclosure or other use by persons other than the intended recipient is
prohibited. If you received this in error, please notify the sender and
delete all copies.