xfdesktop woes

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Mon Nov 9 13:29:46 CET 2009

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 11:00:07 +0100
Hinko Kocevar <hinko.kocevar at i-tech.si> wrote:

> samuel wrote:
> > http://wiki.xfce.org/faq#development
>
> My post was not meant to be disrespectful in any way.
>
> I'm using Xfce from version 4.2 and like it very much. I merely tried
> to point out, that in the past version(s) the problems I listed were
> not present. I was not expecting that the developer in charge would
> start debugging and solving the cases immediately - I was trying to
> get other users feedback, if anyone else was experiencing the similar
> problem with the same version. Maybe I needed to set some new
> settings, use different approach, etc..

Guys, please stop making such an issue out of a not-so-well-chosen
subject line. It's the content that matters in the end. I think your
initial email was fine, especially so as this is the users mailing list.

Ok, back to the topic:

> - now and then after system startup and logging into X session my
> windows would lose decorations i.e. toolbar and window manager
> buttons,

This sounds like the window manager is crashing and is not restarted
for some reason. At least the window decorations are controlled *only*
by xfwm4. If they are gone, xfwm4 is not running. I'm not sure what you
mean by "toolbars". Those are usually part of the applications and are
unlikely to disappear for any reason.

> - several xfdesktop processes are spawned at log in - is this causing
> blinking icons on he desktop?,

There was a bug in xfdesktop or xfce4-sesession that caused some
applications (and xfdesktop in particular) to be started several (up to
a few dozen) times. I think that was fixed but I'm not sure the fix was
part of the 4.6.1 release. Brian?

> - log in takes far more time then before the 4.6.1 upgrade,

Hmm, not sure about this one. Again, we had a bug slowing the login
process down dramatically (took up to 20+ seconds on some machines). We
fixed that too, but I'd have to look at the revision log to check
*when* it was fixed.

> - can not use my custom JPG file as desktop background as I used to -
> stock files seem to work just fine, FWIW they are PNG though

As Christoph mentioned earlier, this might be related to the
dependencies GTK+ was build with. GTK+ (and thus all Xfce apps) uses
GdkPixbuf to load images. GdkPixbuf is part of GTK+ and ships loaders
for several image formats that are enabled/disabled depending on the
libraries that are present at build time. So you might want to
recompile GTK+ with JPEG support. This doesn't sound like a problem
with xfdesktop itself.

  - Jannis