unable to chang background color programatically under xfce4

Alexander Toresson alexander.toresson at gmail.com
Sun May 3 23:26:25 CEST 2009

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 2:11 AM, Dr. Christoph Gille
<christoph.gille at charite.de> wrote:
> However, when xfdesktop is running, xsetroot fails to change
> background color.  It seems as xfdesktop is painting the desktop and
> prevents other programs like xsetroot and xbanner from  writing to the
> desktop.

xfdesktop uses a window which obscures the actual root window. That's
why this happens. I remember something about 4.6 having a setting to
enable the root window to show through it, tho if you're using 4.6 you
could just as well use xfconf-query to programmatically set the
background color, wallpaper etc.

// Alexander