unable to chang background color programatically under xfce4

Stephan Arts stephan at xfce.org
Mon May 4 09:34:47 CEST 2009

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Alexander Toresson
<alexander.toresson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 2:11 AM, Dr. Christoph Gille
> <christoph.gille at charite.de> wrote:
>> However, when xfdesktop is running, xsetroot fails to change
>> background color.  It seems as xfdesktop is painting the desktop and
>> prevents other programs like xsetroot and xbanner from  writing to the
>> desktop.
>
> xfdesktop uses a window which obscures the actual root window. That's
> why this happens. I remember something about 4.6 having a setting to
> enable the root window to show through it, tho if you're using 4.6 you
> could just as well use xfconf-query to programmatically set the
> background color, wallpaper etc.

I am not quite sure if xfconf-query supports modifying array type
properties... it might not (at least it was something I did not
implement, dunno if brian did)

if it doesn't, that is the only thing you CAN't do with xfconf-query.

Kind regards,
Stephan