mailwatch plugin "error LED" suggestion

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Mar 19 21:33:51 CET 2009

Grant Edwards wrote:
> I've been using the mailwatch plugin for some time now, and
> I've a suggestion for a change to the behavior of the little
> red "LED".
>
> All of the IMAP servers I use produce occasional connect/login
> failures This happens many times per day, so the little red
> LEDs are pretty much always on, and have lost all meaning:
> there's nothing I can do about these occasional failures, so
> there's little point in notifying me about them.
>
> However, I do want to know if there's a non-temporary failure.
>
> What would be a lot more useful to me would something like:
>
>  * Don't turn on the red LED unless multiple successive polls
>    have failed. (maybe say 3 in a row?)
>
>  * If a poll succeeds and the red LED is on, change it to
>    yellow.
>
> Are other people's IMAP servers so reliable that they want to
> be notified of a single connect/login failure?

Yeah, definitely good suggestions.  Unfortunately there isn't a good way
of doing this... the logging system in the plugin doesn't maintain any
metadata about the error messages, so they just happen, they get
converted to an icon and string, and then the original reasons for the
error get forgotten.

Feel free to file a bug report, but honestly I don't know when (if ever)
I'll get around to this.

	-brian