mailwatch plugin "error LED" suggestion

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Mar 19 20:42:21 CET 2009

I've been using the mailwatch plugin for some time now, and
I've a suggestion for a change to the behavior of the little
red "LED".

All of the IMAP servers I use produce occasional connect/login
failures This happens many times per day, so the little red
LEDs are pretty much always on, and have lost all meaning:
there's nothing I can do about these occasional failures, so
there's little point in notifying me about them.

However, I do want to know if there's a non-temporary failure.

What would be a lot more useful to me would something like:

 * Don't turn on the red LED unless multiple successive polls
   have failed. (maybe say 3 in a row?)

 * If a poll succeeds and the red LED is on, change it to
   yellow.

Are other people's IMAP servers so reliable that they want to
be notified of a single connect/login failure?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'm ZIPPY the PINHEAD
                                  at               and I'm totally committed