GnomeVFS Support in XFCE.

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Thu Mar 19 20:18:02 CET 2009

Hey Brian,

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Well, gtk-file-chooser-backend is deprecated, IIRC, now that gtk has gio
> and gvfs.  So basically, if you have a recent gtk version (2.14 at
> least?) and gio/gvfs installed, it'll just work.  If you have an older
> gtk version, you'll have to figure out how to set Gtk/FileChooserBackend.

This is running Lenny, so it's still at 2.12. Perhaps that's the entire
difference, that the Xubuntu I'm looking at has 2.14.

I'll try backporting 2.14 from unstable. Thanks for pointing that out.

> Unfortunately, it's not possible to *add* new XSETTINGS properties to
> either Xfce 4.4 or 4.6 without hacking some source.  It's a bit easier
> to do in 4.6, though.  (Actually, it's possible that 4.6 already
> supports Gtk/FileChooserBackend, but my gut feeling is it doesn't.)

In all of my experimentation I had already rebuilt Xfce 4.6 from
experimental. All in all, I would rather stick with the GTK 2.12 from
Lenny, so if you could give me any more information about playing with
the XSETTINGS I would appreciate that. Also, I don't mind patching code,
since I am set on using 4.6 anyway.

Thanks,
--Pat