GnomeVFS Support in XFCE.

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Mar 19 19:50:51 CET 2009

Pat Suwalski wrote:
> Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
>> On jeu, 2009-03-19 at 18:36 +0100, Christian Dywan wrote:
>>> Note that GVfs is *not* the same as GnomeVfs.
>>
>> Woops, sure. That's right.
>>
>> Pat, did you mean gvfs or really gnomevfs?
>
> Either would be fine, I think. The problem is that neither seems to be
> used.
>
> I went ahead and installed the suggested gvfs-bin and gvfs-backends, but
> it didn't change the situation at the file chooser.
>
> I'm still convinced that in stock Debian the GTK
> 'gtk-file-chooser-backend' isn't being set to anything.
>
> Any other ideas out there?

Well, gtk-file-chooser-backend is deprecated, IIRC, now that gtk has gio
and gvfs.  So basically, if you have a recent gtk version (2.14 at
least?) and gio/gvfs installed, it'll just work.  If you have an older
gtk version, you'll have to figure out how to set Gtk/FileChooserBackend.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to *add* new XSETTINGS properties to
either Xfce 4.4 or 4.6 without hacking some source.  It's a bit easier
to do in 4.6, though.  (Actually, it's possible that 4.6 already
supports Gtk/FileChooserBackend, but my gut feeling is it doesn't.)

	-brian