4.6: new windows now start on bottom

Joost Kremers joostkremers at fastmail.fm
Wed Jun 17 23:00:18 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 10:40:14PM +0200, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> Which apps do that. I already told not to care about Terminal and
> Thunar, and some apps might have the same behaviour. But definitely the
> default behavior, with default config *is* correct. How do you start the
> apps and if you use startup notification.

I can reproduce this behaviour, with about any app I try. With the focus
model set to "Focus follows mouse" and "Automatically give focus to newly
created windows" *unset*, new windows appear behind existing windows. Not
just Terminal, Unison does it, Freemind, Emdros, ELAN (a java app),
OpenOffice, GQview. Only exception I've found is Acrobat Reader and the
GIMP, which puts its main window on top, but any others it opens at startup
behind other windows.

This doesn't happen when "Automatically give focus to newly created
windows" is set.

IMHO I tend to agree with Grant and consider this a bug, or at least a lack
of a feature... raising and focusing (new) windows are two different things
and should be configured separately.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments