4.6: new windows now start on bottom

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 23:23:02 CEST 2009

http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3c4A37E889.8020009%40yahoo.de%3e

> xfwm 4.6 has seen releases since one year, so I ~guess~ it
> could have been known before…

Here's a thread in which you participated where the problem is
mentioned:

     Ordinary WM settings:

        1) Focus follows mouse: yes
        2) Automatically give focus to newly started applications: yes
        3) Automatically raise windows when they receive focus: no
        4) Raise on click: yes

     WM tweaks focus settings:

        5) Activate focus stealing prevention: yes
        6) Honour standard ICCCM focus hint: yes

     When I turn off 2), all new windows appear underneath, which is
     not what I want.

>> > and you didn't provide any indication on how to reproduce it.
>>
>> I wasn't aware anybody wanted to try.  So far, I haven't been
>> able to find out whether this is the intended behavior or not.
>>
>> What do you want to know?
>
> Which apps do that.

Pretty much all of them -- including settings dialogs and
programs started by panel plugins.  The only one I've found
that starts on top is Wireshark.  _Occasionally_ some will
start in front, but I haven't figured out how to duplicate it
other than it seems tha applications started from the command
line in a terminal window sometimes seem to start in front of
some windows.

Are there multiple discrete layers within which multiple
application windows can be ordered?

> I already told not to care about Terminal and Thunar,

AFAICT, it happens with pretty much everything regardless of
how it's started.  Most of my apps are started directly like
this:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Exec=aterm -T visi -n visi -e ssh shell.visi.com
StartupNotify=false
Terminal=false
Categories=X-Hosts;
OnlyShowIn=XFCE
Name=visi
Comment=ssh shell.visi.com

They start out on the bottom as do things started using
"exo-open".

> and some apps might have the same behaviour. But definitely
> the default behavior, with default config *is* correct. How do
> you start the apps and if you use startup notification.

No, I don't use startup notification -- at least not as far as
I know.

> Ho, and ranting on a mailing list (or worse, on a forum) won't
> lead you anywhere. If you have the strong feeling there's a
> bug somewhere, the correct place is bugzilla.xfce.org.

My apologies. I thought it had already been reported, but now I
realize that was a Debian bug I found, not an XFCE bug.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! !  Now I understand
                                  at               advanced MICROBIOLOGY and