4.6: new windows now start on bottom

Mike McNally emmecinque at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 21:10:07 CEST 2009

> Wouldn't this set of conditions work?
>
> 1.  New windows in focus-follows-mouse aren't raised all the way, but are
> placed in the stacking order directly underneath the focused window.

Well, for my purposes, no that wouldn't work.  When I run a command
from a terminal, and I know that command launches a new window, I
definitely want to see the window. I do a lot of work on a netbook
(small screen), and even on bigger screens I tend to have crowded
workspaces (example: terminal window with tail -f on a log file from a
web application; browser window testing site; terminal for commands
and builds etc).

This is my preference out of many years of habit. I don't insist
anybody cater to my personal needs, of course, but I don't think it's
really that weird.

I've written lots of throwaway GUI applications that show something in
a window but take all their input from a console.  For such a case,
again, I definitely want my console (xterm) command to launch that
window such that I can see it, but I also want to keep typing in my
xterm.  Another thing: I  don't necessarily raise my xterms when I
type in them - I may want to type a command in a window but keep
another window in front, because what I'm typing may affect it.

Smart placement isn't really a solution, again, because my workspaces
are crowded.

--
Turtle, turtle, on the ground,
Pink and shiny, turn around.