4.6: new windows now start on bottom

Brian J. Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Thu Jul 9 21:01:34 CEST 2009

On 2009/07/09 11:12, Mike McNally wrote:

> Here's a concrete example: I want to open up my X server so that I can
> run from a remote machine (via SSH and port forwarding) some X
> application. To see if things are working, from a local terminal
> window I ssh to the remote machine, set DISPLAY, and run "xlogo."
> Now, as soon as I see that xlogo window, I know it works, and I want
> to hit ^C in my terminal window.
>
> If I give new windows focus, well now I see my "xlogo" but I have to
> re-focus in my xterm window in order to get rid of it. (Well I guess I
> could mouse to it and click it's titlebar "X" but that'd be even
> harder).  If I don't give new windows focus, then I don't see my xlogo
> at all unless I go hunting for it.

Wouldn't this set of conditions work?

1.  New windows in focus-follows-mouse aren't raised all the way, but
are placed in the stacking order directly underneath the focused window.

2.  With smart placement enabled, the new window will most likely be
placed in a way such that it is not obscured (or at least not completely
obscured) by the focused window that's on top.

I don't use focus-follows-mouse, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't
already work like that...

Of course that isn't perfect... if the focused window is maximized to
the screen size, you won't see the new window.

	-brian