Disabled XFCE Session Manager, now can't login

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 25 02:22:48 CET 2009

Jay Mistry wrote:

> I disabled the XFCE Session Manager when I last logged into XFCE, as
> it used to prompt for a new session to be named every time I logged
> into XFCE.
> Now, I cannot login to XFCE. On trying to Login, the splash screen
> (with the mouse graphic) appears and then the desktop and panel appear
> very briefly (3-4 secs), and replaced by a blank black screen.
>
> What can I do to re-enable 'Session Manager' ? I can boot via a 'Live
> CD' and make any necessary changes to system file(s)-but I don't know
> which file to alter & how ?

If you see the splash screen, then the session manager is already
enabled.  Something's causing it to quit.  You'll want to look at
console output.  Try logging in directly to a virtual console (not
through GDM or some other display manager) and running 'startxfce4' from
the command line.  That might help you figure out what's going wrong.

	-brian