xfdesktop2 or xfdesktop-acer source

Dumitru Mișu Moldovan dumol at gnome.ro
Fri Feb 13 16:42:17 CET 2009

În data de Vi, 13-02-2009 la 08:04 -0700, David Mohr a scris:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 12:18 AM, Pascal Gervais <pggervais at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> >> De : Grant Williamson <traxtopel at gmail.com>
> >
> > I just downloaded "xfdesktop-acer-lp-1526.no_spot.mcs_patched.src.rpm" and it does not contain any source code. But I wonder if there is a GPL violation if they provide the source code upon request.
>
> The question is, do they? I know someone on this list who has tried
> for months, and I myself have made one (weak) attempt with no success.

http://gpl-violations.org/faq/legal-faq.html has an interesting point of
view that confirms this:

«When we started enforcing the GPL, we tried it by sending e-mails,
faxes and letters ourselves, rather than going through lawyers. However,
those letters were simply ignored in almost all cases.

Therefore, it is our experience that trying informal means of
communication is not worth the effort, especially since it reduces the
amount of time we have for applying to a preliminary injunction (in
Germany), and therefore puts us into a worse position.

Formal warning notices sent through our lawyers always tend to draw
attention at the appropriate management level, and therefore tend to be
addressed with the required seriousness for a major copyright
violation.»

--
mișu