Re menu and more ...

aaparkr at swbell.net aaparkr at swbell.net
Mon Feb 9 13:05:54 CET 2009

For reference:
I implemented something called "10 steps to the desktop you always wanted"
and it is much more usable to me. I also put a link to the Xfce menu on the
taskbar.

> The Aspire One's desktop uses a separate configuration file in
> ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/something.xml . I don't have mine handy, but
> look around and you'll find a definition in there to what
> "Browser" points to.

I went to /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop using Midnight commander
(as root) and that just has  icons.screen0.rc  and xfdesktoprc
but I still can't locate whatever produces the Xfce menu. This would
be the menu that pops up when I right click on the desktop.

More confusion -> when I use File Manager to look (as 'user' I believe)
I see 'group-app.xml' in addition to the 2 files listed above, but it
just references the old panels. I don't see anything about the
Xfce menu or Desktop menu. I think File manager is going to a different
home directory perhaps in addition to /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/something.xml

> poorly integrated) code by Linpus / Acer.

That was what I was afraid of, it seems to be ummm... poorly documented too.

>> Having said all that, I have to say I am delighted with the way Xfce3
works
> Just for reference, it's xfce4 :-).

That was a typo! I can't believe I hit 3 and then missed it when I proofed (sorry!).

I think I need to figure out more about what the "10 steps ..." changed as well(sigh).
Anyway, thanks for responding. I will be back when I know more and can ask specific
questions.

Tony