menu and more questions

David Mohr squisher at xfce.org
Mon Feb 9 01:39:09 CET 2009

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 5:27 PM, A Parker <aaparkr at swbell.net> wrote:
> I am trying to figure out how to modify what is shown on the Desktop menu
> and what it points to. Example, The 'Web Browser' selection still points to
> Firefox 2.0 which was originally installed on th
> is machine (Aspire 1). I can get to the latest version if I go to Network >
> Browser though.
> It seems that every time I start looking for a solution, I get bogged down
> in Desktop editor information - even on the wiki pages.
> There is something in the Settings hyper link, but I can't make the
> connection.
> Something completely different: I have sent in questions, but never seen
> them in the digest that comes to me in e-mail. I don't know if they are
> being answered and I am somehow missing them, or if I am not sending them to
> the right place.

The Aspire One's desktop uses a separate configuration file in
~/.config/xfce4/desktop/something.xml . I don't have mine handy, but
look around and you'll find a definition in there to what "Browser"
points to.

It's not integrated with settings, because the desktop is new (and
poorly integrated) code by Linpus / Acer.

> Having said all that, I have to say I am delighted with the way Xfce3 works
> on this device. The speed and features are great and there seems to be a lot
> of people figuring out ways to make this machine even more friendly and
> useful.

Just for reference, it's xfce4 :-).

~David