XFwm4 shade + notification area

J. Anthony Limon j at flippo.net
Sat Dec 19 17:32:46 CET 2009

Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 7:23 AM, J. Anthony Limon <j at flippo.net> wrote:
>> I'm not sure if this is a "bug" technically or a disagreement in spec
>> implementation but it's extremely annoying how odd things get when you shade
>> something and then try to send it back to the notification area.
>>
>> IMHO it should immediately get minimized to the notification area and when
>> you un-minimize it, it should be un-shaded also.
>
> Sorry I do not understand your description of the problem.
>
> Iconification and shading are different things, while notification
> area is yet a totally different topic which has nothing to do with the
> window manager itself (although, admitedly, I am not even sure what
> you call notification area actually).
>
> Could you please clarify?
>
> Cheers,
> Olivier.

Well the panel plugin is called the notification area. Apps such as
Pidgin, Rhythmbox, etc use it to be minimized to an icon sometimes.
Typically to minimize applications to the notification area you can just
click the icon (as with Pidgin).

But if you shade the window first and then try to minimize to the
notification area, nothing happens.

  - J