ANN: gigolo version 0.3.0 released

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Thu Apr 2 22:46:28 CEST 2009

Am Thu, 2 Apr 2009 00:27:29 +0200
schrieb Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:

> >> Hmm, what exactly do you mean by padding? Symbol or Detailed view?
> >> I just have no idea what could be wrong, sorry.
> >
> >Symbol view. The empty space around each icon is always at least as
> >much to fit the longest text below the icon. So more visually:
> >
> >"       dango auf gyokuro          "
> >" sftp for christian on lanedo.com "
>
> Ah, I see.
>

> >I'd rather like to see the long ones wrapped in two lines than
> >everything becoming wide enough, ie:
> >
> >" dango auf gyokuro  "
> >" sftp for christian "
> >"    on lanedo.com   "
> >
> >Note the length of the longest line in this second example has
> >decreased significantly for the same labels.
>
> Hmm, I played a bit with it and set wrap-width to 100, see the
> resulting images on http://uvena.de/tmp/gigolo_mockup/ (to not flood
> the list with the images).
>
> - gigolo_wide.png is the current state without changes
> - gigolo_small.png is with wrap-width set to 100 and wrap-mode
> PANGO_WRAP_WORD_CHAR
> - gigolo_small_large_fonts.png is the same but with a significant
> larger font size
> - gigolo_small_centered.png - with additional set "alignment" property
> to PANGO_ALIGN_CENTER
> - gigolo_small_centered_large_fonts.png is the same but with a
> significant larger font size
>
> As you can see, each change has its advantages and disadvantages.
> Especially the large font size versions don't look good to me.
> The wrapped labels left-aligned also look weired which is much better
> in the centred versions but then the symbol is not more properly
> horizontally aligned with the label.
> Either I didn't find yet the right combination of the properties and
> their values or I'm just to picky.
> Honestly, I like the current version most.
> What do you think?

igolo_small_centered.png comes closest to what I would like but if
there is no way to fix the large font version that's quite bad.

I don't know how Thunar does it, it's probably because it has Exo's
icon view. That always looked nice to me. I will just accept it, I have
a limited number of mounts unlike what the file manager displays so
just leave it like it is. :)

> >Incidentally I wonder why some of my devices have English naming and
> >others German, like in the example. But that is probably GVfs' fault.
>
> Your sftp connections should be in English, the others in German.
> See
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2008-November/msg00028.html.

Ah, that explains it then, thanks. It left an impression of lesser
quality at first but after the reasoning it seems like a good idea =)

> >> What's wrong with the Symbols/Detailed options? They are both
> >> labelled as Symbols vs. Detailed in both, the preferences dialog
> >> and the View menu.
> >> Maybe I should change the combobox in the preferences dialog into
> >> two radio buttons like in the View menu?
> >
> >My main confusion was the different wording and whether it was the
> >same as what the View menu options do.
> >
> >I think the combobox is fine, if anything I think it should be more
> >specific since "View" is pretty generic in the context.
>
> Agreed. Any suggestions?
> "Connection List"?

Not sure about good suggestions on my side I must admit, "Connection
List" is definitely better than "View".

Regards,
    Christian